CLICK HERE to schedule your free initial phone consultation with our attorneys.

Dedicated Attorneys Pursuing Justice For You Offering Comprehensive Immigration Services Throughout California

Green Card Attorney in Los Angeles

Applying for Permanent Lawful Residence in California

Obtaining a green card is an important part of the immigration process for becoming a lawful permanent resident ("LPR") of the U.S. The Green Card serves as a license that proves you have gone through the immigration process and are on track to receive full citizenship. It also provides you with the right to stay in the U.S. indefinitely and seek gainful employment.

There are several methods for obtaining a green card. California Immigration laws are always changing, so it is important to understand the process when you begin your application so you can prove you were going through the proper procedure from the start, even if the laws now are different than they were when you started. The law typically provides that you are held to the laws that were in place at the time of your application.

Our Los Angeles green card attorneys can review the process with you at no charge during a consultation. Click here to book your free phone consultation. We help clients in Los Angeles and Fremont. Reach out today!

Visa and Permanent Resident Card - California

How Do I Apply for a Green Card in California?

The application process varies depending on your situation, however, the general process for applying for a green card is:

  • Someone files a petition for you (family, spouse, employer, etc.). In some situations, you may be able to file for yourself.
  • USCIS approves the petition.
  • A visa becomes available in your category.
  • File a Green Card application with USCIS or a visa application with the U.S. Department of State
  • Complete your biometrics appointment.
  • Complete your green card interview.
  • Receive a decision on your application.

How Long Does It Take To Get a Green Card in California?

Obtaining a green card in California can take up to longer than a year or it can be shorter . The process involves a obtaining a immigrant visa, then applying for a green card. The time process of obtaining a green card depends whether the individual is on U.S. land or not. If the individual is already in the U.S. they may apply for Adjustment of Status which can take up to a year or longer, if the individual is in their home country they will need to go through Consular Processing which may take just a few months.

What Are the Green Card Categories?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has separated the green card application process into several categories:

  • Family-Based Immigration – immediate family members of U.S. citizens and green card holders can apply for a green card through sponsorship from their relatives.
  • Employment-based Immigration – Professionals, workers with special skills, and immigrants with exceptional abilities can apply for a green card through sponsorship from a U.S. employer.
  • Special immigrant – Religious workers, minors who were victims of abuse, international broadcasters, Afghanistan and Iraq nationals, and employees of select international organizations are classified as special immigrants and usually eligible for green cards.
  • Refuge & Asylum – Immigrants who would face physical harm or persecution their home countries and apply for immigration under asylum if they have lived in the country for a year. Refugees who have lived in the country for a year are also eligible.
  • Victims of Human Trafficking & Crime – A human trafficking victim with a T nonimmigrant visa is eligible for a green card, as are victims of crimes with U nonimmigrant visas.
  • Victims of Abuse – This measure was created to protect family members who relied on a relative’s citizenship to stay in the country. Spouses and children who are victims of abuse are eligible to apply for their own green cards.
  • Registry – If you have lived in the U.S. since before Jan 1, 1972, and are a person of “good moral character” you are eligible to apply for a green card.

In addition to these methods, there are dozens of niche laws that allow people with special circumstances to apply for green cards. Our knowledgeable Los Angeles green card attorneys can help you get started on your green card application and find the route that will be most convenient for you and your family.

The Law Firm of Anish Vashistha is here to help you. Click here to book your free consultation with our Los Angeles green card lawyers.

How to Renew Green Card in California

If you have a Permanent Resident green card, it will expire after 10 years and require renewal. Additionally, if you lose your card, it is important to get it replaced as soon as possible. To renew or replace your green card as a Lawful Permanent Resident, you would fill out Form I-90.

If you get a green card as a Conditional Permanent Resident, however, you cannot renew your green card. You must first remove your conditions to being a permanent resident. Depending on how you obtained your card, you have two means to do this:

Can Your Green Card Be Revoked in California?

It is difficult to have a green card revoked, but it can happen. Your green card can be revoked based on several grounds, including fraud during the application process, abandonment of your residency status in the United States, or committing certain crimes listed by the INA, or Immigration and Nationality Act.

If you have any concerns about your green card being revoked, it is best to speak with an Los Angeles green card attorney as soon as possible.

Call (877) 227-9714 or click here to set up a free consultation with Los Angeles green card lawyers at the Law Firm of Anish Vashistha, APLC.

Turn to the Law Firm of Anish Vashistha

Solutions-Oriented. Successful Results.
  1. Board-Certified Immigration Attorney
  2. Over 1,000 Cases Handled
  3. Multilingual Staff
  4. Cutting-Edge Legal Tactics
  5. No Nickel & Diming
  6. All Canadian-Law Matters Handled In-House
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.