CLICK HERE to schedule your free initial phone consultation with our attorneys.

Dedicated Attorneys Pursuing Justice For You Offering Comprehensive Immigration Services Throughout California

California Family-Based Immigration

Immigration Attorneys in the Bay Area & Los Angeles

One of the most important questions our clients ask us about the immigration process is whether or not their family will be able to stay together. Though U.S. immigration laws are complex, they do have several provisions for keeping families together. There are numerous ways you can apply for citizenship through family, or sponsor a family member for a green card. During a free consultation, our Los Angeles family immigration lawyers can review your case and guide you through the most convenient path for your situation.

To schedule your consultation click here. Initial phone consultations are free.
We have locations in Fremont and Los Angeles.

What is a Family-Based Petition?

U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) can sponsor specific family members to immigrate to the United States via a family-based petition. If you are planning to sponsor your family members, keep in mind that there are two family-based immigrant categories: immediate relative and family preference.

Immediate relatives are:

  • A spouse
  • A minor (under 21), unmarried child of a U.S. citizen
  • Unmarried son or daughter over 21
  • Married son or daughter of any age

If you are a U.S. citizen and you are over 21, you may petition your siblings and your parents.

There are four family preferences:

  • First Preference (F-1) - unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Second Preference (F-2) - spouses, children, and unmarried sons and daughters of LPRs
  • Third Preference (F-3) - married sons and daughters of citizens
  • Fourth Preference (F-4) - brothers and sisters of adult citizens

Immigrating through a Family member

If one of your immediate relatives (parents, children, siblings, spouses) is a U.S. citizen, you should already be eligible for a green card or visa. The relative in question must maintain a primary residence in the United States and file a Petition for Alien Relative, also known as Form I-130, to begin your citizenship application. Once this form has been reviewed and approved by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you will receive a visa number and be eligible for a green card.

If you are already living in the United States, you will be able to apply for a green card as soon as you receive your visa number. Immigrants living outside of the United States will be sent a visa by the National Visa Center, who will provide them instructions on what to do next.

Keep in mind that the Visas are limited. Your family relationship will determine your priority on the waiting list.

Priority for visa applicants:

  • Immediate family members, including spouses of U.S. citizens, unmarried children under 21, and parents of citizens over 21, do not have to wait for a visa.
  • Unmarried children over 21 of U.S. citizens are given first preference in the visa waiting list
  • Spouses of green card holders are given second priority
  • Married children of U.S. citizens are given third priority
  • Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens are given fourth priority

Learn More During a Free Consultation

There are many other provisions for family-based immigration, including arrangements for extended family, persons born to foreign government officials, and relatives of LPRs. We know how important it is to keep family members together. Contact our dedicated lawyers in Los Angeles today for assistance immigrating your family to the U.S.

We can review your situation during a free consultation. Call (877) 227-9714 or click here to set up an appointment.

Turn to the Law Firm of Anish Vashistha

Solutions-Oriented. Successful Results.
  1. Board-Certified Immigration Attorney
  2. Over 1,000 Cases Handled
  3. Multilingual Staff
  4. Cutting-Edge Legal Tactics
  5. No Nickel & Diming
  6. All Canadian-Law Matters Handled In-House
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.